University College of the North (UCN) is committed to building a workforce that is representative of the populations we serve. Applications are invited from individuals who have a demonstrated interest and ability to work with Aboriginal learners and mature students.
The Position: As part of the Human Resources team, the Pay and Benefits Assistant plays a vital function for UCN- ensuring to ensure employees are paid accurately and on time, that they are properly enrolled in benefits programs, and that accurate employee records and audit trails are maintained. The position will assist in preparing, balancing, verifying, and recording all payroll transactions, as well as assisting with administration of benefit plans and producing various bi-weekly, monthly, and annual reports. The Pay and Benefits Assistant must ensure that all responsibilities are performed with due regard to confidentiality and in accordance with applicable legislation, the Collective Agreement, benefit plan provisions, human resource and payroll policies and procedures. All pay is processed using an on-line system (Ceridian HPL).
Qualifications: - Payroll Certification and/or other related pay and benefits training
- Appropriate combination of education, training and experience may be considered
- Related pay and benefits experience is required (in a unionized environment is preferred)
- Experience using an on-line payroll system
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Office
- Experience with Worker's Compensation claims management
- Strong positive communication and customer service skills
- Thinking skills and ability to problem solve
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, meet strict time lines, often with overlapping deadlines
- Ability to interpret and explain Policy and Procedures, Collective Agreement and Legislation as demonstrated
through past experience
- Demonstrated ability to exercise considerable independence and produce accurate, high quality work
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment
- Personal experience and/or knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal Culture
Assets: - Ability to speak an Aboriginal language
- Familiarity with Ceridian HR/Payroll Latitude (HPL)
Applicants are asked to provide a cover letter and resume indicating their specific training and experience related to this position, as well as indicating three references.
Representative Workforce (formerly employment equity) is a factor in the selection process. Applicants are invited to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Competition Number: 18-058
Closing Date: June 22, 2018
Salary: $26.52 to $30.56 hourly, plus applicable remoteness allowance
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education Canada Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify your email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above may require certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for being employed in Canada or the Province in which this employer is located. To view these qualifications and to apply to this job you must be registered or logged into ECN. Please click on the "Apply Now" button to proceed.
Please quote Education Canada Network
in your application to this job